Charlotte CROP Walk and Sardis CROP Challenge
The 39th Annual Charlotte CROP Walk will take place on Saturday, October 14, 2017 at 9:00 am at Independence Park (300 Hawthorne Lane). Sardis will do its part to help make this year’s walk the best one yet. For 2017, we have set a fundraising goal of $3,000 and a participation goal of 30 walkers. Walkers can register for or donate to the Sardis team here.
But we don’t just want walkers and donations. We want to have our community immerse itself in issues related to local and global hunger. So we’re inviting you to participate in the 2017 Sardis CROP Challenge. Here’s how it works:
Everyone at Sardis (and friends, too!) are invited to see if they can earn 100 challenge points. Points can be earned in the following ways:
- 25 points: Walk in CROP Walk
- 25 points: Receive 1 point for every dollar donated up to $25
- 15 Points: Register a friend to walk in CROP Walk
- 15 Points: 15 points for every article read about issues related to hunger
- (click here to find online resources).
- 15 Points: Volunteer one hour with a hunger ministry in Charlotte. Crisis Assistance, Loaves and Fishes, Second Harvest Food Bank, and Urban Ministry Center are all good places to start.
- 10 Points: 10 points for every prayer given to empower our community to help eliminate hunger
- 10 Points: 10 points for every conversation you have with someone else to engage them in a discussion of the hunger crisis
- 10 Points: 10 points for every scripture passage you read related to issues of hunger
- (click here for suggestions)
- 5 Points: 5 points for every act of encouragement you offer to a walk participant (prayer, word of thanks, note, text, etc).
- 5 Points: 5 points for every social media engagement (post, share, like, comment, picture, etc.) to encourage participation in this year’s Challenge.
Click here for a spreadsheet to help you keep a running tally of points. Points will be allocated on the honor system.
Sardis will maintain a google doc to tabulate all participants (link here). Please update as you go along. In the Meetinghouse, we will display a bulletin board listing each participant (and gold stars for every point), as well as a progress thermometer.
Our goal as a community is to earn 5,000 points. To help get us started, Bob Stillerman has pledged to give $.01 per point to the Sardis Walk Team, for the first 2,000 points earned.
Let’s start walking today, so we can stop hunger in its tracks!